Oxfordshire is an English county which is full of fiction. It is also where my upcoming novel, The Revelation Room, is set. I’d like to share with you some examples of other authors and fiction based in Oxfordshire:
Authors from Oxfordshire:
– Agatha Christie is famous for Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot.
– C. S. Lewis wrote The Chronicles of Narnia.
– J. R. R. Tolkien is famous for the Lord of The Rings trilogy.
– Philip Pullman is well known for His Dark Materials.
– Griselda Heppel writes children’s fiction including Ante’s Inferno.
There was a time when you couldn’t pick up a book without massive blocks of descriptive prose. It was an art form all of its own.These descriptions were seen to be adding more depth to the story and giving the reader more information about the characters and setting.
Modern writers tend to steer clear of vast expanses of informative, yet mostly unnecessary writing. In fact, authors have gone in the opposite direction, giving only what is needed to leave the reader to imagine the rest. There also tends to be less time given to journeys and the transition of time.The modern method seems to be to get there as quickly as possible and cut out the filler. Again, this works well for me as a writer and a reader Continue reading